View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
neferset
Dread Pirate Cavendish

Zone: 6 or 7
Name: Neferset
BananaBucks : 9,265
Said "Thanks" 48 Times
Was Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: Can I get ripe bananas in zone 7 Virginia?

Overwatering is a no. Nice thought, though. I use a very well drained mix and am very careful not to overwater, especially in winter. The citrus get much the same treatment and a similar mix. The living room where it was is probably the best heated room in the house. It seemed to happen quite suddenly and does seem linked to the cold snap, which is why I said what I did about drafts...yet the Truly Tiny was fine. What I've thought the key was is possibly the size. If you note, the Orinoco never fully recovered after having had an accident and never really took off from it's very infantile size.

I cared about cold tolerance because I had hoped that I would be able to leave it out with protection or store it dormant in the basement when it was an appropriate size. I was never able to get it to an appropriate size. We're talking about a banana that still only about 4 inches tall--including leaves. This winter...all I can say is wow. If we can wind up with winters like this one, I no longer care so much about cold tolerance and just want something I can cart inside.

But the Orinoco is going to have its chance to come back. I'm not 100% convinced it's a goner. It had a huge root system.

Click for Rockwood, Tennessee Forecast

Last edited by neferset : 03-29-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Clarity
neferset is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To neferset