View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
billlearjet

BananaBucks : 9,273
Said "Thanks" 31 Times
Was Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Other Michigan Banana people?

Hello Banana growers in Michigan! Living Waterford Michigan I started growing Basjoos nine years ago in the back yard. They grow well and get up to about 10 feet tall! In the late fall I cut them back to about ten inches tall and cover them with about two feet of wood chips and have been able to fool mother nature every year! Now I have a stand of about 25 pups and they all do well! Needing to separate some of these but just like the effect for they give nice privacy to the back yard where the in-ground pool is located! Another thing last spring was able to attain some blood leaf bananas and have dug them up and taken them in to house. Just placed them in a large plastic bag and then sat them in a large pot to maintain the roots! Have not water much just allowed them to go dormant! The center leafs are still green and there are about 6 of these in the bunch. Two years ago got an Himalayan banana from Logees and it did not like the sun when I first got it for it would wilt! After a couple of weeks it finally started to grow and it got about 5 feet tall last summer and at the base it is about ten inches across!
billlearjet is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To billlearjet