View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
venturabananas

Zone: 10
Name: Mark
BananaBucks : 238,783
Said "Thanks" 1,752 Times
Was Thanked 3,968 Times in 1,713 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 39 Times
Default Re: Knowledge/Opinions wanted (many ?s) Re: Ice Cr. Banana plants, dwarfs, & other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawler View Post
1. Is "Ice Cream" a type of banana plant w/ several varieties? ...as I have seen people talk about "Ice Cream Blue Java" and "Ice Cream Namwahs"?

2 If Ice Cream IS a type with different varieties, can someone tell me what falls under as an Ice Cream type of banana?

3. I saw someone here describe an Ice Cream banana as ? dry/flakey... is that correct? I thought it would be more moist/creamy?

4. What does "sub acidic" mean in regards to taste? ...does "sub"=LESS than acidic? ...as in ? a flat abrupt taste (not smooth). Let me say, I know what Orinocos taste like and I know what the ones from the store taste like. For me, Orinocos are sweet-like, but have a flat ending taste, that resonates with an abruptness, if you will, while store bought are smooth/sweet creamy. SO, from this perspective, where does "sub acidic" fall?

5. We can handle tall plants in all 3 places we have, but prefer at least one (probably 2) of the areas to have a dwarf variety, while the 3rd (yellow circled area & 2nd to last pic) can handle any size (we are on acreage)... well, any size but the ginormous ones I just viewed by "Rmplmnz".

We are SW Houston TX by 45 minutes. We're looking for sweet and smooth, but not mushy or hard. After preliminary research, I'm honing in on Dwarf Namwahs and a Mysore for two of them. Can anyone tell me what their growth habits (height, etc.) look like and more importantly THEIR TASTE?

6. Any suggestions for the 3rd variety?
1. There is only one true "Ice Cream". By most accounts, it is not great.

2. But the most common banana sold as "Ice Cream" in the US is misidentified and is actually a Pisang Awak variety (= "Namwah"). It is a large plant with fruit that are indistinguishable in flavor from Dwarf Namwah and what is sold in the US as "Misi Luki" (also the wrong name).

3. Would apply to the true Ice Cream, not the "fake" Ice Cream (Namwah).

4. Sub acid in reference to fruits means with some tartness, less than a lemon, more than a Cavendish banana. For example, Mysore and Dwarf Brazilian are sub acid bananas. That type is my favorite.

5. Dwarf Namwah and Mysore types (Mysore, Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Klotek) are great choices. Dwarf Namwah is a dense, sweet fruit with a hint of apple cider aroma. Mysore types taste to me like a sweet-tart candy had a baby with a banana. Great flavor and good texture.

6. There are lots of good options, but personally, I'd go with Dwarf Brazilian. It is a stout, tough plant that makes delicious fruit. The only complaint I have about it is that it is much slower to fruit in my climate than some varieties, like the Pisang Awak ones.