View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
raygrogan

BananaBucks : 10,417
Said "Thanks" 125 Times
Was Thanked 314 Times in 166 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 17 Times
Default Re: OK, Let's Start this All Over Again: This is group 1 of 4

Here are my price notes, but they could be a year or more old:

BEI has 10-5-29 banana fert, $25 for 50#, or KNO3 $46 for 50#. KNO3 is 13-0-44, = 50% higher in K, and nitrate N, so good, net a little more expensive.
CaNO3 is ~$30, Basic ferts MUCH cheaper (like 10-20-20 50# for $26, about the same price as 20# at HD ($23)).

Back to real time. If you are not used to some of these ferts, a few pointers (in my micro climate, in an open air garage, Palolo, back, ~60 in rain a year):

Easy flow, no issues: 10-20-20 and the banana fert.

16-16-16 pulls water out of the air. Folding the open bag and covering with a sm weight is enough to keep it granular. If left open a drippy mess starts oozing out the bottom, and the fert is either soggy or stuck together.

The KNO3 will eventually turn into a rock. The cool part of that is you can put chunks of "rock" on the surface and it dissolves very slowly.

The calcium nitrate (world's sweetest fert in my plants' opinion) will pull water out of a desert breeze. I have to keep it in a covered plastic tub (old Tidy Cat bucket with lid). If left open it will turn to soup. I have never burnt a plant using it since it brings its own water.

I can't remember BEI's micros - I used to get iron sulfate (also turns to rock). Now the plants seem happy with big box Ironite or Milorganite, both easy to work with.
raygrogan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To raygrogan

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors