View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
trebor

Zone: POMPANO BEACH, FL Zone 10
BananaBucks : 108,799
Said "Thanks" 845 Times
Was Thanked 1,329 Times in 483 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 256 Times
Default Re: New member checking in

I have SDC also, Im in South Florida, my SDC are in the ground. Actually I have 2 of them. Ive had great luck with them fruiting. Both have produced fruit for the last few years . Both had first flower after two seasons in the ground aprox 20 months. I see the fruit and then I write the date down after 90 days or as soon as I see the color lighten up I will remove them from the plants.” IF” and I say “IF” they were higher from the ground I would let them stay on the plant until I see some yellow. But I got some pretty Mean/Hungry critters in my area that will see a rip fruit then call out the entire family to eat as much as possible. I water and use less fertilizer when I see fruit. I use kitchen scrap/leaves compost or composted cow manure or Fish emulsion . Also I use Asomite 2 times a year to supplement the minerals (my soil is very sandy). I have a NPK fertilizer I also use 8-3-9 with trace minerals. I get it from My local rare fruit council in Palm Beach Florida. I always suggest everyone contact the local rare fruit council in the area they live in to be up to par on all the incoming info and plants that grow in you area naturally .. I hope something I said will help you . I just re–read this and I don’t think I said anything to confuse anyone who reads it. Welcome aboard and happy growing ..

I use 8-3-9 because I am not in a hurry But there are lots of good fertilizers available here that make bananas grow more quickly . Richard has one that several people have commented works well

If ya can't eat it, it ain't growing in my back yard !
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To trebor
Said thanks: