View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 500,772
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: Which banana do your prefer?

To the un-initiated, Goldfinger is a good home-grown banana. If the grower is in a temperate environment (real or simulated 9b+) then the Namwa is hard to beat. The real Ice Cream is great in USDA cold hardiness zone 11, but the timing for perfect harvest in zone 10 (or lower) is problematic. I have hung a bunch in my garage (thanks Jason!) and for one day, 40 of the 60 bananas had a perfect taste. Before and after that it was barely acceptable. The Namwas (dwarf and standard) I've grown in zone 9b weather, ripened either outdoors or hanging in the garage during winter were outstanding. However, you have to examine the fruits before picking and decide whether further input from the mother plant will result in more expansion of the fruit or the outer skins have hardened off and their is no benefit to leaving them on the plant. The Mysore varieties I have grown in 10a weather were even better tasting, and I look forward to fruits produced in my new 10b location.

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors