View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Basjoofriend

Zone: 10
Name: 01
BananaBucks : 187,744
Said "Thanks" 138 Times
Was Thanked 266 Times in 123 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Musa basjoo flowers in Brazil!

Hi Markku,

I could order 2 plants at Mercado Livre from one Brazilian nursery, the both will be sent to my friend in Angatuba. He has also agreed that he will get the both plants to cultivate them in his nursery to produce pups and seeds for you and me.

It will take some years until you get one or two pups or seeds. The plants are very rare and also expensive, therefore my friend will propagate.

Yes, the hybrids might be hot and very interesting! I will try to cross Musa haekkinenii with Musa velutina, laterita, mannii, ornata and even with some parthenocarpic fruit bananas. But this requires one visa to stay for much more time in Brazil.

I am currently updating my website, the English and German version will be ready on November 1st, I hope this. Then I will write the Portuguese version and my guest daugther will help and correct (she does speak German very well), so that my Brazilian friends, neighbours and also Helton will read my page, perhaps I do get better chances to get one visa.

In the future I will plant pups of Musa haekkinenii at my pond in my special garden for rare bananas. This is the best banana place in my chácara, where two Musa Nanicao already fruited last year (the plants are huge) and Musa velutina already flowered.

Best wishes
Joachim
Basjoofriend is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Basjoofriend