View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
burris

Zone: 7A
BananaBucks : 11,542
Said "Thanks" 41 Times
Was Thanked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Basjoo- Trim leaves?

Say - i don't want to hijack the thread, but this is somewhat related. I purchased my first banana plants this Spring at the farm store. They were in small - half gallon or smaller pots and we had a late frost that got them and they looked about half dead.

They are basjoo and i trimmed about half of the leaves away (dead leaves - partially dead) and re-potted them in 5 gallon pots. They have come on real well with perhaps the biggest approaching 3 foot tall and 1.5 inch diameter stem. I bought some a few weeks later and they are half that big. so maybe the re-potting was as big a factor as any.

I have 11 with half in almost full sun and the other half mostly shaded. The past few weeks i notice a lot of the leaves have brown edges or parts of the the leave turning brown. I water frequently - possibly too much?

I'm in Arkansas - zone 7 and i think the original pots said they were 2 yr-old plants out of a nursery in Oklahoma. Probably tissue cultured - i shouldn't speculate - i have no idea.

I think they are probably doing decent. Are the brown spots normal? Your thoughts?
burris is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To burris
Said thanks: