View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
sunfish
Banned

Zone: 9-11
Name: Tony
BananaBucks : 938,333
Said "Thanks" 3,210 Times
Was Thanked 20,591 Times in 7,760 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,716 Times
Default Re: Musa Basjoo Problems/Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranon View Post
Hello, I have been having some problems getting my Musa Basjoo banana trees to grow outside. I purchased them a little over a month ago from ebay and received some healthy baby trees. I then planted them in large pots and kept them indoors due to the bad weather Nebraska has been having lately. The room they were in is a large glass room with many windows but a solid roof so the plants didn't see much direct sun, it was mainly bright light. Since the weather seemed to warm up nicely and nighttime temperatures were high enough I moved the containers outside to let them adjust to direct sunlight. Needless to say they didn't like that very much and many of the leaves burned, one of the plants burned so bad I had to cut it back and its currently growing a new leaf back out. It took about a week for them to better adjust so I finally transplanted them outside in various full sun areas of the yard and have been fertilizing them as needed however the plants don't look as nice as they should, the leaves seem to still burn a bit and the ones that don't just look plain bad. They are a pail greenish color with a hint of yellow mixed in and seem almost deformed. They tend to get little circular burn marks in the leaves. I have attached a few pictures of the odd coloration on some of the leaves. I also noticed that one of them wanted to kinda grow at an angle instead of straight up as you can see in one of the pictures.To answer any common questions, yes I water often, yes I fertilize often every week or so. As for the soil? I'm not entirely sure how well it drains. As for state I live in Nebraska. The weather has been getting into the low 50's at night and its been cloudy and rainy the past few days, today has been in the mid 80's with full sun. I hope nothing severe is wrong with them. I am thinking maybe its just because of the shock of transplanting and the odd weather patterns but they have been in the ground over a week now.

They're fine
sunfish is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sunfish