View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Olafhenny

Zone: Hardiness Zone 6
Name: Olaf
BananaBucks : 149,190
Said "Thanks" 2,050 Times
Was Thanked 1,989 Times in 874 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 77 Times
Default Re: Permanent banana shelter for winter and spring

Hi Mike,

this is the second request for more information. I had already one by PM. If I get one more,
I'll draw up the cutting scheme. There are two tricks to this:

1. First is the efficient use of the Styrofoam sheets. One sheet is neither enough
for the big one, nor enough for the two small one. I needed a third sheet to make up the
difference and then I had to paste pieces together for the lids.
2. You need a good sharp cutting knife with a full (long) blade, so you can hold it at a flat
angle for a clean cut. The cuts need to be vertical for good contact between the parts.
If you have that, then the glued joints are stronger then the Styrofoam. I used a four feet
long plastic carpenter’s level to get some vertical guidance as well as for straight lines..

If I get one more request, I will post detailed guidance accompanied by photos next week.
This week I am busier than a one-armed paper hanger.. There is no rush now anyway. You
won’t get it ready for spring protection, because the glue will have to set preferably over night
for the various stages. So it will take longer to assemble as any need for frost protection

Good luck,
Olaf

PS: I actually used some left over solid stain for outdoors, mixed with some acrylic paint to cheer up the colour a bit

Olafhenny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Olafhenny
Said thanks: