View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Illia

Zone: 8b
Name: Illia Chavez
BananaBucks : 14,864
Said "Thanks" 243 Times
Was Thanked 311 Times in 202 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 117 Times
Default Re: Hello from Oregon

I don't know how much research you've been doing, but I can already attest to Namwah being a pretty tough variety out here. (it was sold to me as an Ice Cream, but I'm pretty sure it is a tall Namwah based on others "Ice Cream" experiences) I had it in an unheated greenhouse, it froze more than a little heater could deal with, so I thought the whole thing was dead, gave up on it, through the winter it was frozen over and over in the 20's and I never did anything, then in the spring I dug it up, found out the corm was still alive, put it back in the ground, watered it daily, and what do ya know - It came back healthy as could be. If I'd only realized the stem alone survives the winters pretty well and with protection could come back to fruit the next year or the year after, I would've had fruit by now. (by protection I mean just simply wrapping the P-stem and keeping it out of the mid to low 20's)

Other cold hardy edibles are Orinoco, Rajapuri, and California Gold. The latter is rare and much more expensive, but, I'm going to try it out with great excitement this year. Some others are Praying Hands, Mysore, FHIA-1 (Goldfinger) FHIA-3, and others. They're all ones it takes more than a year to get fruit from though, except Cali Gold if well taken care of. Fruiters in less than a year are varieties like Veinte Cohol, but they require a little more heat for fruit in time and are not cold hardy.

Good ornamentals as you may know are the common Basjoo species and supposedly the new Mekong Giant. I've yet to try it but plan to.
Illia is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Illia
Said thanks: