View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
PR-Giants
Commercial Grower

BananaBucks : 250
Said "Thanks" 2,902 Times
Was Thanked 12,504 Times in 3,634 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3,204 Times
Default Re: Forcing Bananas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturabananas View Post
So, you are saying that you've counted the number of leaves put out from first emergence of a pup to bloom and if leaf production is rapid, more leaves will be produced before the bloom than for a plant that produces leaves more slowly? You've grown a heck of a lot more bananas than I have, but at least with the plants in my yard, the fast leaf producers are fast bloomers and the slow leaf producers are slow bloomers. And I'm pretty sure I've read that "myth" in scientific publications. Doesn't mean it is right, but I'd want to see some good data before I discarded it as a myth. Do you have such data?
Common sense will tell you it shouldn't hasten the bloom, but I prefer to be certain and there was a slight possibility that it could work. I never considered comparing fast bloomers to slow bloomers, instead I compared the same plants under the exact same conditions and only increased leaf production in one group. Doing it this way allowed me to isolate the differences only related to leaf production.

When does a plant naturally increase leaf production?

It should take no time to answer, and that will lead you to realize it's myth.

PR-Giants Photo Gallery

15,000+ Varieties

PR-Giants is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To PR-Giants