View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
sandy0225
Northern Tropics

Zone: zone 5
Name: Sandy
BananaBucks : 355,382
Said "Thanks" 38 Times
Was Thanked 1,801 Times in 682 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Default Re: Green House Question.

I sure hope you all don't get any wind! At least put some tie downs over the top of it. Take some rebar or really long tent stakes, tie some strapping material or in a pinch you could use rope or twine or something and throw it over the top and stake it down on the other side. Do that at least 3-4 times so it doesn't blow away so easy. The yellow things over the top are some pieces of strapping material my hubby scrounged from work and we hooked those into dog tie out stakes, the ones that twist in the ground. This thing from farmek I used for a little while had built in loops to tie it down to some super long tent type stakes that came with it on the four corners and even with the over the top tie downs in our wind it still wasn't enough.
And even then if you hear you're going to get some wind, clean it out overnight and put your plants inside a real building overnight. Unless you just love to pick up plants! I found that out the hard way. I was using this (picture below) had it tied down and still lost it to wind, thankfully when it was already near empty. I found it in the morning after an overnight thunderstorm up against the fence all mangled. We also had cement blocks on the hold-down flaps (they are the things on the ground wrapped in green and green striped cloth). I wrapped them in old blankets and sheet so they wouldn't rough up the cover and that didn't even work to hold it down. I got this thing from farmtek in 2005, and used it for a season, and I know it's built a lot more sturdy than those ones you all have, and it didn't make it here...Not trying to rain on your parade, but just been there done that...
.[IMG][/IMG]

These are a couple of the three greenhouses I've upgraded to now, and still I worry when we've been getting 55-60 mph wind gusts. I have a friend about 25 miles away that lost one of his greenhouses in a storm with 55 mph winds. So far so good, but you still worry...
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Northern Tropics Greenhouse
1501 East Fuson Road
Muncie, IN 47302
www.northerntropics.com

specializing in bananas, heirloom tomatoes and water gardening plants~
check out our new online store at our website!

Last edited by sandy0225 : 02-26-2013 at 09:49 AM.
sandy0225 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sandy0225
Said thanks:
Sponsors