View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
venturabananas

Zone: 10
Name: Mark
BananaBucks : 238,880
Said "Thanks" 1,752 Times
Was Thanked 3,968 Times in 1,713 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 39 Times
Default Re: Plantains cold-hardiness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delonix87 View Post
I have acquired some plantains called "Pacific Plantain". Unfortunately it did not come with it's scientific name so I don't know which one it is. Anyway, I would like to know about growing Plantains in a climate about 30 degrees south of the equator (sub-tropics/warm temperate climate border area). It can get chilly in winter. Does anyone know how they would react in such a climate? It is too cold for them? I grow Cavendish and they are OK during winter (although they stop growing).

Any experience with Plantains outside the tropics?
"Pacific Plantain" is the name of a specific cultivar in the Maoli subgroup, and a general name used for a larger group of bananas -- none of which are actually true plantains. Some of them are more cool-tolerant that Cavendish and others are less so. I would bet that if you can grow Cavendish with no problem, it'll probably be OK. The famous Ae Ae is in the Maoli subgroup and it does as well or better than Cavendish when it gets cool here (34 degrees N).