View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
DoctorSteve

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 187,219
Said "Thanks" 81 Times
Was Thanked 306 Times in 158 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 41 Times
Default Re: Coconuts and cold tolerance

I think the phrase "cold wet winters" when referring to California is said by those who do not live here, that is why I choose not to say it. We are cool but not usually cold but we are certainly not wet. Santa Clara has an annual rainfall of around 15 inches, San Diego is around 12. Not what I would call wet.

None of this is really that important though. The point I am trying to make is, TRY. When we try, try different varieties. If people didn't do this we would still be saying "you can't grow bananas in the bay area". People tried, used different varieties, and some worked. I am thankful that they did, I am sure you are too, that is why we are on this forum

If people don't want to try don't, its fine. I am going to try though and I am encouraging others to as well. Then we can share our knowledge.

Caliboy, I think if I remember you are in an area a few degrees warmer in winter, so you could even grow stuff I can't. I know there is a guy in Fremont growing Macadamia, and another person growing Green Sapote in southern California. Both of which people said could not be grown here. Find the right spot, the right variety and maybe we have some luck.
DoctorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To DoctorSteve
Said thanks:
Sponsors