View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
musa_monkey

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 28,032
Said "Thanks" 53 Times
Was Thanked 147 Times in 71 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Banana growers in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmarc View Post
Nice basjoo Musa Monkey, how do you overwinter it?

I have 3 planted outside and i cut all the leaves off, mound up mulch around the bottom of them and place pallets around them and fill with straw and cover the top with plastic sheet to keep the rain out. Its a bit of work and i have to buy bales of straw but it does insure that they carry on growing from the same height as the previous year.
Also, i dont water them during winter.
Hi, this year they were outside in pots, next year i plan to plant them in the ground and cover them with an insulated frame in winter. I already do this with my tree fern. Right now the main plants are sitting in various corners of my living room. The sikkimensis is only about 4ft but the basjoo is only about 6" from the ceiling . The pups are now also all over 3ft tall and are in pots in the greenhouse - i assume i can just leave them be i.e. not water them until spring.

I also have a large maurelli that at present is taking up a corner of the living room but i had to hack off some of its leaves this morning. Need to figure out how else i can over winter that one for next year as it really does take up a fair bit of space. Its really all still quite new for me but a lot of fun with some stunning plants.
musa_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To musa_monkey