View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
venturabananas

Zone: 10
Name: Mark
BananaBucks : 240,614
Said "Thanks" 1,752 Times
Was Thanked 3,969 Times in 1,713 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 39 Times
Default Re: Physalis: ground cherry and Cape gooseberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
Mark, is that from the seeds I sent you? I've been picking some for a few weeks. Yesterday a very well-traveled friend came by and picked about 20 and he said that they are possibly his favorite fruit in the world. He said the size of mine were very good. I like them pretty well but my wife thinks they're somewhat weird.
No, that one is from seeds from Trade Winds. I have two of each kind going now (from you and Trade Winds). All are setting fruit, but the ones from you have set fewer fruit and have a taller, less sprawling, growth habit; and maybe somewhat bigger fruit (or the husks, anyway). It'll be interesting to see how the fruits compare. I'd just like to get to that point where I'm comparing fruit! Tropical fruits ripen slowly in our 60's - low 70's climate. For instance, there is a dwarf Cavendish plant in my neighborhood that has had a bunch of fruit hanging for over a year now. No sign of ripening.
Sponsors