View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
trebor

Zone: POMPANO BEACH, FL Zone 10
BananaBucks : 108,969
Said "Thanks" 845 Times
Was Thanked 1,329 Times in 483 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 256 Times
Default Re: Compost Tea Yea or Nay?

I think TEA and Chemical fertilizers all have there place and I feel its due to your situation. Or your soil condition as well as the type of soil you have..
Example South Florida soil is mostly sand and in some areas muck and other areas shell bed.. So in a 100 square mile area you can have 3 very different types of soil. All there can and do support plant growth. The fertilizer/compost/tea can be applied to all three different soils and all have results. Some better than others.. What happens is all of us learn from our own experience in our environment , we see results. Then we pass these result on to our friends and associates , we end up with all the different ideas floating around clouding the air! Pile on the ease and convenience of the big box store down the road and we end up with even more results .. I look at People like for example bananafarmer video
Video greenhouse, walking through,5min
and he shows me rocky soil then I see his chemical fertilizer menu posted in his photo gallery .. WAMMO success is written all over his video and still pictures of the bunch sizes . Im sure he did not photo his smallest bunch as an example
There is such a huge difference in commercial growing compared to having two nanners in your back yard its amazing . I know because my family has been in agriculture (Citrus) for over 90 years
So I guess my point is we all do it differently and Musa is a very forgiving plant ..
Now Im going to go turn over my compost pile and get my 5 gallon bucket ready for some more tea making later this month Ill stop by the Big Box Store and get me a bag of 12 5 8 .. Then later I will be out at the horse farm picking up some manure .. I might even surf the internet looking for some essential essential minerals.... All this fertilizer advice has me excited !

I agree with Rmplmnz post as it relates to caution needed where fertilizer is used

If ya can't eat it, it ain't growing in my back yard !
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To trebor
Said thanks: