View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 06:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Casa Del Gatos

BananaBucks : 22,677
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Preparing Ensete Maurelli for the winter

I think the strategy is to cut down to the corm, then divide the corm and each piece will (hopefully) grow a new plant.

Unfortunately, I drilled extra drainage holes in the 18" pots they are in so watering them inside would be problematic. We are supposed to get down to 40 tonight so I am kind of anxious to do something this afternoon.

I wonder about putting them in the ground on the south side of the house (fairly sheltered) and just letting them do whatever they do. I suppose they will grow back from the corm like most that have their foliage die back in the winter. I can't imagine how big they could get in the ground during our long growing season. Of course I only paid about $12 each and they were 3 feet tall then. I guess if they don't come back, I'll just get some more.

Mike, yeah the cats love the banana mats. Miniature jungles to them. I just wish I was fast enough with the camera to catch several of them in one pic while they are playing hide-and-seek. We have six (so far) and they love to "help" us in the yard whenever we go out to work there.
Casa Del Gatos is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Casa Del Gatos