Thread: Zone 8 growing?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tiny Tim

Zone: 8
Name: Tim Rollins
BananaBucks : 21,270
Said "Thanks" 6 Times
Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to Tiny Tim
Default Zone 8 growing?

Apparently central South Carolina is zone 8 and I have heard that I will be unable to grow edible bananas. Is that true?

We are new to this banana-growing-thing and are wanting to do it right. As a bodybuilder for 38 years I sure have eaten my share of them!

I will find out exactly what type tree my wife bought and that may help you all give me direction. She bought it from Lowes but didn't really get the name. We'll drop by tonight and find out.

Anyway, I want to plant the tree. With our soil consisting of a clay mix should I dig a hole MUCH bigger than the pot and then fill up the hole with some type of soil that banana trees like?

The big questions are; watering and winterizing.

Watering is not a problem; just need to know how much and how often. We have nice palm trees that are doing very nicely so I'm hoping banana trees will do well too!

Winterizing the tree is of great importance. While it doesn't stay cold very long here it can get down to mid 20's at times. These are fairly rare but they still happen. How do you winterize banana trees with temps like this?

The plants should love the spring and summer here! It's already hit over 90 degrees and June just started!

I appreciate any and all help so fire away! Oh, btw, I tried using the search and for some reason it doesn't like whatever I put in the box. I gave up and decided to start this thread.

www.tinytimblog.blogspot.com
Tiny Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tiny Tim

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors