View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
ja4s

BananaBucks : 16,984
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Banana Tree Soil Mixture

Hello,

I recently bought a number of Musa basjoo Banana Trees and was going to plant them in my backyard. I want to make sure that they are being grown as best as possible, so I've done some research and wanted to run by the experts before making soil/compost purchase.

Im not 100% sure on the soil in my region, but it is rather sandy & rocky. We live in South Texas, so I figured I'd rather just be on the safe side and just replace the questionable soil and put it new soil mixture all together for the bananas.

I was going to be using this , but instead of digging individual holes, I was going to be dig out a whole row for 12 banana trees, separated 2 feet apart, apx. 1-2 feet deep and wide.

For the soil, I was going to place at the bottom 40 lb Cow Organic Cow Manure for each ( Shop Hapi-Gro 40 Lbs. Cow Manure Compost at Lowes.com )

Then on top of the manure compost, I was going to mix in some Organic Peat Humus ( Shop Hapi-Gro 40 Lbs. Organic Peat Humus at Lowes.com ) and some Premium Top Soil ( Shop Timberline 40 Lb. Premium Top Soil at Lowes.com ) ... About Half and Half. I will be adding perlite as well.

Then place the plant in the ground, and surround it by another bag of manure compost providing it adequate water, fertilizer, and sunlight.

So a quick recap, Manure Compost at the bottom, Peat Humus and Top Soil Mix combination on top of that with some perlite. Plant the Bananas, compost surround it with fertilizer.

It's a whole weekend job and I want to do it right, before making the purchase and doing the work.

What do you all think?
ja4s is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To ja4s

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors