View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
jmoore

Zone: 8a
Name: James
BananaBucks : 119,067
Said "Thanks" 192 Times
Was Thanked 799 Times in 373 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 71 Times
Default Re: Battling spider mites every year.

I was just going to ask a question about neem oil and I found my partial answer.

Here is my question: neem oil is an oil and as such needs to be mixed with water before being applied to my plants. Before it will emulsify with water it needs an emulsifier added. I have looked around and found that polysorbate 20 (or tween 20) is a good emulsifier and will not harm the plants, however I have also researched that polysorbate 20 is carcinogenic and I would rather not use it around my kids. My question is: could I use glycerine as an emulsifier? Would it harm my plants?

I appreciate that a pesticide would be a good option, however mites can be resistant to pesticide and again I have the kids issue. Plus I can't get hold of most of the products mentioned on here because they just aren't available in the UK.

I would like to try 'exemptor', but I don't have billions of pounds (I exaggerate) but it's out of my price bracket. So I would like to try neem oil.

Any thoughts anyone?
jmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To jmoore

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors