View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Darkman
Dirt Master

Zone: 8b/9a
Name: Darkman
BananaBucks : 204,656
Said "Thanks" 9,263 Times
Was Thanked 1,582 Times in 702 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 243 Times
Default Was I cheated? Should I be concerned?

I recently purchased some "Seedling" Loquats for grafting stock. They were about four to five feet tall and I assumed they were three to four years old. They came in a three gallon pot and were obviously root bound. I specifically asked the nursery if they were "seedlings" and they said yes.

Today I began the process of repotting which necessitated the removal of the circling roots. I had to trim one inch off all the sides and two inches off the bottom to remove all the mostly dead roots. I began to loosen the rootball and felt roots that were circling deeper in the root ball. I eventually figured the deeper circling roots were from an earlier repot that had been done poorly. They had been grown in a small (about five inch pot) until they were root bound and someone decided to repot them. They did not remove the circling roots and just stuck the root bound root ball in a bigger (three gallon pot) and called it good. By this time I have built up a bit of anger and that is when I found it. This was not a seedling. It was a limb cutting. They took a limb around an inch in caliper and jammed it into something to get roots to form and then its pot life began.

Now I have about one hundred dollars worth of NON SEEDLINGS that I need to graft on to. I have just received my scions for grafting and don't know what I should do. What is the opinion of the masses?

Graft unto the recently butchered rootball that I have repotted and don't worry about it?

Find some real seedlings to graft on?

Hold the scion (refrigerate) till the repots have had time to settle in?

Bang my head against the wall?

Scream and Holler?

______ --- ____ -- _____?

AS ALWAYS IMHO AND YOUR MILEAGE MAY DIFFER!!!!!!!!

Life - Some assembly required, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Data that analyst twist to support the insane opinions of those that pay them.
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Darkman

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors