View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Olafhenny

Zone: Hardiness Zone 6
Name: Olaf
BananaBucks : 246,063
Said "Thanks" 2,050 Times
Was Thanked 2,012 Times in 876 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 77 Times
Default Re: Need advice to grow a banana plant indoors all winter

After bragging in this thread early last winter about the health of my indoor banana (Ornata) plants,
I noticed some damage from mites or something else darn near invisible. It was just days before an
extended absence and I did some spraying with a mild soap solution. It must have helped a bit,
but not enough, because, when I returned >two months later, there was some more damage, but
IMOEO not as bad as it might have been, had I left it untreated prior to our departure.

Another insecticide treatment upon return seemed to have brought the problem under control.
The last two leaves were basically unaffected. New leaves are not developing fast as they
did, after I first brought them in (then: 2 ½ weeks; now: just under 4 weeks). I am not sure,
if the reason is less fertilizing during our absence or a delayed reaction to the period of short days
in mid winter.

The good news is that there is now the first new pub sprouting. When I got the mother in Vietnam
last year it had one cub, which I separated then and there and about seven nodes for more. More
about that here: I Think I Scored a Coup

After planting the PS of the mother died, but the corm sent out 2 new cubs, which developed over
summer into the plants you see further down in this thread in the big pot. The one in the smaller
pot beside it is the original pub, which I separated off in Vietnam.

The new pub is now the third one from the original mother corm since I planted it. And there
is now a little green dot visible on an exposed part of the corm, which may well develop into the
fourth pub.

Last edited by Olafhenny : 04-14-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Olafhenny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Olafhenny
Said thanks: