View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #31 (permalink)
bananaT
Fi sti elbide, worg ti!

Zone: 9 to 10
Name: T
BananaBucks : 52,829
Said "Thanks" 129 Times
Was Thanked 479 Times in 161 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: Favorite fruiting mulberry cultivars

I have two that I really like.

The White Pakistan. Wonderful fruit. I don't really like berries that are too tart, so this works nicely. Plus the birds don't bother them. The plants themselves are nice looking. And I haven't had any pest problems with them either.
It breaks very early though, so early as to do it before the knew year if it gets cold, than warms up. its not as cold tolerant too. Very much worth it.

The other is the Paper mulberry, Brosonetia papiriferia (if that's spet right). Its not related to these mulberries we're talking about but...

I have a male and female tree, so if we get a very cold winter, like '10 and '11, it will fruit!
The male is beyond vigorous. It takes over every inch it can, by suckers and branches growing 15 feet tall a year.
The female is very poor performer here in Florida though.
But the fruit is a rare prize. They're like little redish pom-poms, you just eat the outside of it. Very tasty. Something unique....
https://youtu.be/sPa7tzsIbhM

T.Farms
bananaT is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bananaT
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors