View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
canadianplant

Zone: Zone 3-5
BananaBucks : 52,022
Said "Thanks" 20 Times
Was Thanked 65 Times in 44 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Time to finally plant my Musa Basjoo

After growing this guy from a small, 2 leaved plant for 3 years in a pot, it has gotten over 2 feet tall, with a 2 inch base. I believe its time to get it in the ground, so it can take off. Here are a few things to know:

- Im boarderline zone 5. The area im going to be planting it in is a definite microclimate. It will be in front of 2 walls, one facing east, one facing south, like an "L" shape (or "7" i guess ). There are 4 concrete pavers leading to a small lockstone patio. THese should help with heating up the soil, and retaining heat in winter.

- The soil is on the sandy side. The spot is the first area to melt, and heat up in the spring/summer.

- There is a gasline in the soil, so I cant go crazy with digging, but I will be adding top soil.

- The area heats up to almsot 40C in the summer in the sun.

Can anyone suggest anything?
canadianplant is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To canadianplant

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors