View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #43 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 509,227
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: shade tolerant fruiting plants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturabananas View Post
Richard, I bought a couple of the Evergreen Huckleberry from the vendor you recommended. They arrived promptly in great condition. One Green World recommends planting them in un-amended soil. But they also say they like well draining, acid soil -- which would require some amending in my yard. What would you recommend? Sounds like they need the same kind of soil as their congener, blueberries.
I'd say their advice is for customers in their immediate area.

In the wild they thrive under the east or west drip line of conifers in DG soil. I plant mine in the same soil mix I give to other rhododendrons -- which as you mentioned includes Blueberries. For clay soil I would mix 2 parts native soil, 2 parts compost, and 1 part coarse sand (either horticultural or washed coarse paver sand), plus a dash of reasonably fresh worm castings. If the planting hole doesn't drain, then be sure to provide a French Drain so that excess rain water etc. has a chance to seep away somewhere else. Don't bother with mycorrhizae unless you have a source for the rare type compatible with rhododendrons.

Last edited by Richard : 03-14-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: french drain
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Said thanks: