View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #101 (permalink)
bigdog

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 734,680
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog
Default Re: Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzone7 View Post
Thanks Bigdog for this thread, I'm new to this site and growing bananas, but I know the info you've posted is the best & clearest I've seen anywhere on the web. I haven't heard you mention your plans for your book in awhile, I hope you're still thinking about it.
In your last post I think you stated that when you lifted your basjoo to wintered over most of the PS died back.
I have 2- 6'(to the stem) basjoo and 6 pups, my main hope is to have as much size next year as possible. (I'm not even thinking about fruit yet)
I'm in zone 7
Should I lift it and remove some of the lower leaves and place it in my basement that will not freeze (probably 40 - 55 degrees) or should I cut it mulch it and leave it in the ground, but how will that affect it's size next season?
Jim
Jim, I'm glad to hear that it is helpful! The book idea is still just that...an idea. I'm in school at UT Knoxville full-time right now, so that eats up the majority of my time. Maybe one day. Thanks!

As for your M. basjoo, I'd leave it in the ground and mulch it really well. You can build a cage and fill with leaves like some do in order to save as much pseudostem as possible. The only reason I dug mine up was because of the move. Personally, I just mulch the base really well, then invert a trash bag full of leaves (with a hole big enough for the pseudostem in the bottom) over the top of the pseudostem (cutting the pseudostem back to a couple of feet). Digging it up also means that it will take much longer for it to re-establish in the spring.

Frank, the thought has crossed my mind, but it's more work than it's worth for me. Dragging them under the house is pretty hard work, but somehow I think burying them would be even more difficult.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog
Said thanks: