View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
RobG7aChattTN

BananaBucks : 19,120
Said "Thanks" 29 Times
Was Thanked 438 Times in 234 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: The American Chestnut Foundation & Dunstan?

The American Chestnut Foundation is trying to get a blight resistant PURE American Chestnut. There are a lot of hybrids out there, but I don't think any of them really perform like the pure species. They've got some blight resistant pure Am. Chestnuts but only a percentage from seed have the resistance (but you can graft the resistant plant onto the root-stock of the non-resistant plants with no problems. They (the American Chestnut Foundation) have a deal where you have to pay annual dues to get a few plants. It used to be a flat price of something like $15 for 5 trees but now it is technically a never ending annual fee to participate. I know there are groups testing some pure Am. Chestnuts near where I live at an Arboretum and at a polo farm. I'm hoping to get some plants one day but I hope to just buy them outright. I'm sure when they have a pure resistant strain you'll be able to buy them potted at the big box stores...which is probably when I'll get some.
RobG7aChattTN is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To RobG7aChattTN