View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #40 (permalink)
barnetmill
barnetmill

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 72,242
Said "Thanks" 110 Times
Was Thanked 319 Times in 202 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: shade tolerant fruiting plants?

How about flatwood plums
Quote:
...also called hog plum, is a small understory tree found in river, swamps, hardwood hammocks, and pine flatwoods. It ranges from southern North Carolina to central Florida and west to central Texas, northward in the Mississippi Valley to southern Arkansas. Flatwoods plum
The fruits are described as being
Quote:
purple fruits are tart and rich in pectin. They are used to make jellies, preserves, tart pies, or jams.
Since it is an understory tree it might tolerate some shade. I am thinking of getting one next fall. They can grow 20 ft high. I do not know if it needs a pollinator or not. Just Fruits and Exotics sells them. Too busy this year to clear land for planting. I turned down a free gift of east texas blackberry vines yesterday because of time issues and I already have some that I planted last year that doing ok from the same friend.
I have a wild chickasaw plum type that I purchased a few years ago for $5 from the locale county green up Santa Rosa, FL and it has really grown and the only problem is some sort of maggot that is getting in the fruit. If I picked up the fruit lying on the ground that problem would likely go away. I have planted a few other chickasaws near by for pollination. They are in flower now.
barnetmill is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To barnetmill
Said thanks: