Thread: Gros Michel
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #151 (permalink)
venturabananas

Zone: 10
Name: Mark
BananaBucks : 239,146
Said "Thanks" 1,752 Times
Was Thanked 3,968 Times in 1,713 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 39 Times
Default Re: Gros Michel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
It is just like the other Gros Michel cultivars. As far as bananas go, they are rather similar to Cavendish types, but tend to be more aromatic and with a firmer, creamier textured flesh. They don't normally get mealy as Cavendish sometimes do. Locally grown (fresh) bananas are pretty much always better than the imported ones, so even local Cavendish here in Hawaii can be quite good in my opinion compared with the imported Cavendish.
Thanks Gabe. Since I couldn't track down any Gros Michel fruits in Hawaii, I still haven't had one, but I had guessed that they can't be all that different from Cavendish (though everyone seems to agree somewhat better), given that the average American who was eating bananas in the 1960's when the switch was made from Gros Michel to Cavendish never even knew a switch had been made. I don't mean that one can't tell them apart by flavor, only that the average person probably wouldn't find them to be too different. At least that's how I'm going to rationalize it to myself and give up on this holy grail for many on the org, because I can't imagine that this heat-loving AAA cultivar would fare well in my cool environment. At least judging by my currently pathetic looking Cavendish varieties.

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors