View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #1045 (permalink)
lkailburn

Zone: 5a
BananaBucks : 17,324
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 176 Times in 106 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: My Aero~Garden...

I finally have some photos to share of my AG. So in a seed trade on gardenweb i recieved some lemon basil seeds. I've grown lots of basil but never lemon basil so i grew some in my AG and WOW what a terrific variety. Makes the kitchen smell like fresh slices of lemon! Anyways, we had some curly lettuce growing that we clear cut harvested, and then let the basil continue to grow.

In this photo, you can see the young lemon basil on the left, with the big mass of lettuce on the right.

Eventually, as you will see, the lemon basil got as big as that lettuce so we decided to pull it since nothing else was growing in the AG and i wanted to start with some new seed.
Here's the lemon basil just pulled out of the AG, look at those roots :-)

Even though it doesn't look like it, we pruned about 1/3rd or so of the plant after potting it up in some soil.

It's now sitting under a big(but thin) plastic tent to help keep it moist. so far so good.

By the way, the 1/3 pruning got sent into the dehydrator for about 1 hour and wallah, home grown, dried lemon basil..can't buy that in the store!

So now we have some new seed in the AG. I have 3 pods with stevia seeds(USDA Organic), 2 pods with bergamot(USDA Organic), and 1 pod with mizuna mustard greens

-Luke

Also, i love everyone's photos. there's too many for me to comment on each since i last commented in this thread but rest assured i've watched the progress of everyone's AG and i love the update photos!
lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To lkailburn
Said thanks: