View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
bananimal

Zone: 10a
Name: Dan
BananaBucks : 561,680
Said "Thanks" 4,688 Times
Was Thanked 4,979 Times in 1,509 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 191 Times
Default Re: First taste of SH 3640 - Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
I've had SH-3640 for about three years but it has not done very well for me and it seems (to me) to be less cold tolerant than Dwarf Namwah. The first year the main plant had grown to 4-5 feet tall but died but a pup sprouted in the spring. It grew somewhat slowly last year and it did make it through last winter but never got very vigorous this year, though part of that is probably because it ended up getting shaded by larger banana plants that are nearby. Guess I'll try moving it in the spring.
Harvey ----- My SH 3640's track record was exactly the same as yours for first and second year. But that all changed after I did a mycorrhizae drench early the 2nd year. This is the 3rd year and first fruit/small bunch. Months after the drench the mat shot a very robust pup that has a much bigger caliper now and is taller. I expect a better bunch in 2012. Same for D la L.

Have seen similar myco effect on everything else except one of the 2 Ae Ae. The wimpy one will be relocated and the robust one should fruit soon. The PK is bigger that it ever grew before and will fruit eventually.
bananimal is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bananimal
Said thanks: