Thread: Old corms
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Olafhenny

Zone: Hardiness Zone 6
Name: Olaf
BananaBucks : 246,394
Said "Thanks" 2,050 Times
Was Thanked 2,012 Times in 876 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 77 Times
Default Re: Old corms

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturabananas View Post
I'd play it safe and only repot into a 15 gallon. The roots will be less likely to rot that way because it'll be easier for them to dry out the smaller volume of soil. "Overpotting" can cause problems. Trust me, that's another lesson I learned the hard way. Be sure to repot into a good, gritty mixture that drains well. I use a bunch of pumice mixed with cactus mix and some compost. Be sure to use either quite a bit of pumice or perlite. I prefer pumice because it is heavier and anchors the plant better.

I cannot believe the ongoing concerns about root rot in this forum. And now it is even the "pot size", which causes it.

There is only one reason you will have root rot and that is because the roots are standing in water . And
that is caused by soil, that is too loamy, and/or water not draining through the bottom of the pot.

When you plant the banana out in the ground in spring, how many "gallons" has that "pot"???

How many gallons has every banana plant available in the tropics???

I brought this Ornata in on about October 12 after re-potting it in a container, which many here would term too big
(35 liters/9.5 gal) for such a little plant.

Everything above the white cut line has grown since then without artificial light and with plenty of water.
I water it whenever the top 1/2 inch is dryish.

If you still think, that either the pot is too big or that I water too much, I challenge you to produce a picture
of a healthier looking potted banana.

If you think you would like to have similar success, then you may want to look up in more detail, what I did
here: Need advice to grow a banana plant indoors all winter

Olafhenny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Olafhenny
Said thanks: