View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
toomanymiles

BananaBucks : 5,623
Said "Thanks" 14 Times
Was Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Battling spider mites every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hollyberry Lady View Post
Water is all that is necessary to prevent mites, as well as to get rid of them. It has to be regular and consistent applications however, to be effective. At most, all you'd ever need is dishsoap, but water will keep them away over the long-term. Store-bought sprays are a complete waste of money when it comes to spitermites. Water, and lots of it, will send them running and keep them gone.

I shower my banana plants through the winter in my bathtub. The larger ones that can't fit in the tub, I mist, and then I wipe the undersides of the leaves with papertowels...but perhaps you have a garage where you could spray your plants with the hose. It has to be done weekly for prevention but sometimes daily if you're already infested.

Once you've got control of an infestation, you can shower once or twice a week to keep them away. Water is your answer if you can commit to applying it often.

Good luck.

: )
We had a record year for rainfall. It poured almost everyday, I also tried to hose them often on days it was not raining. They are a persistent pest. Thanks for your input.
toomanymiles is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To toomanymiles
Said thanks: