View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
greenpagoda

BananaBucks : 3,551
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Battling spider mites every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymiles View Post
Having big trouble with spider mites. I have read about them. Tried pesticides of every chemical and application. Tried hosing them off and even tried predator mites. Nothing seems to stop these guys. They hit while my plants are either in for the winter or mid. to late summer. My plants are cannas, bananas elephant ears and bergmansia. The bergmansia is effected the worst. I have killed them when my plants are small, but I can't hit every leaf of a grove of basjoo that are 10-15ft. tall. The grove is too dense and tall. So are the canna. I can spray and spray in them inside of the sunroom where they are stored and they come back faster than the plant can recover. I have also used systemics also. I have not sprayed for 2 years hoping that mother nature will balance things out with predators, but the damage just keeps happening. I used to have ensete that I would trim down and bring in for the winter and after 3 years they had 12ft. leaves. Now they just get killed in the winter by the spider mites. Any input would be appreciated.

Northeast Ohio zone 5-b.
try sulfur guard from gardens alive. Pay attention to temperature. If you see damage like burning on any test leaves, spray till dripping on undersides, leave an hour and then
rinse thoroughly with water. Bullseye is also supposed to work but didn't for me on raspberries. good luck.
greenpagoda is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To greenpagoda