View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
varig8

Zone: 10-11
Name: varig8
BananaBucks : 42,456
Said "Thanks" 74 Times
Was Thanked 383 Times in 144 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Re: Battling spider mites every year.

The best thing to use is liquid IVORY SOAP mixed in a sprayer with warm water. Its true that just plain water will work, but you must constantly spray them or the mites will just continue to reproduce. It is vital that you spray under the leaves and down into any axis between the leaves,etc. You must cover ALL areas. I havent a clue as to what it is that is in IVORY soap, but other dish detergents dont seem to work as well. The Ivory/water mix coats the bodies of the mites and they suffocate. Re-apply in a week or so to kill any stragglers or new offspring. More humidity also helps to maintain mite free plants. You must spray ALL the plants in the enclosed area so they cannot re-establish themselves once they have been removed from the obviously infested plants. Also, with the Brugmansias, just cut off all the leaves except the growing tips. Place the leaves in a garbage bag, tie it shut, and out the door ASAP to keep any mites from spreading by dropping off the leaves. Spray the bare tree. Brugs will produce new leaves rather quickly. I havent had any bad infestations for a few years, but this is the regimen I used to perform every winter............and it has always worked.

Last edited by varig8 : 11-12-2011 at 08:09 PM.
varig8 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To varig8
Said thanks: