View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
sandy0225
Northern Tropics

Zone: zone 5
Name: Sandy
BananaBucks : 355,487
Said "Thanks" 38 Times
Was Thanked 1,801 Times in 682 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Default Re: Battling spider mites every year.

Also, make sure you aren't killing the same mites over and over on your plants. You know they don't fall off or anything once you kill them. they stay put. So if you don't wipe or spray them off, you might think that they are new mites. Your leaves won't recover in looks after the mites are dead, so you might just be fighting harder than you need to.
I did that the first few years. I thought I had mites, which I did. So I sprayed them. Well in a few days, I looked at the plants and sure enough, the mites were still there. So I sprayed them again with something else. and so on and so on for most of the winter. Well, one day I noticed that those mites I kept on spraying were not moving. And the new leaves didn't have any damage, and weren't getting any. I'd probably killed them the first time or two that I sprayed.
I like to use 2T suave shampoo + 2T cooking oil in one gallon of warm water. You can spray this until all the leaf surfaces top and bottom are dripping wet. Try not to miss any spots. This will usually take care of them in a spray or two if you're real thorough. But then wipe them off or check to see if they're moving before you kill them again!
We sometimes see them outdoors here too in late summer, especially if it's been real dry like it was this summer at times. They start on the back sides of the leaves and then if it's real dry, they spread to the tops. Even on plants that haven't been sprayed with anything. It's worse if you have soybean fields around because they are full of spider mites, and if you're upwind, they blow in. If you have corn fields around in a dry year, the spider mites aren't as bad.

Northern Tropics Greenhouse
1501 East Fuson Road
Muncie, IN 47302
www.northerntropics.com

specializing in bananas, heirloom tomatoes and water gardening plants~
check out our new online store at our website!

Last edited by sandy0225 : 11-12-2011 at 01:48 PM.
sandy0225 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sandy0225
Said thanks:
Sponsors