View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #323 (permalink)
Prometheus

Zone: 5-6
Name: Brad
BananaBucks : 15,289
Said "Thanks" 24 Times
Was Thanked 44 Times in 17 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 15 Times
Default Re: Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

I wish I could offer more help than look for advice, but my overwintering successes have been few. I did get a basjoo back (no pseudostem, but 4 pups, 2 of which took off fast). I planted 4 other mailorder TC starter Basjoos around them and a TC Mekong Giant. They're still pretty small, but I plan on leaving them in this winter (they're only about 1.5'-2' tall). I just heavily composted on top last year, but this fall I'm prepared to build a taj mahal around them if I must. I'm sure I'll keep you all posted when the time comes (and most likely seek advice). Time will tell if the first year Mekong Giant can handle a SE Michigan winter. I did just pot up all my other surviving nanners that were in the ground so they can get a little late summer growth (good soil) and get cozy before I throw them in the basement (plenty of time though). I'm going to bite the electrical bill bullet this winter and put them under lights (have a 4X2 8 bulb T5, a 2X2 8 bulb T5, and a 600W MH/HPS. I refuse to lose another due to my ineptitude, yet need to figure out the minimum lighting I need to keep them alive until spring.
Was it too early to pot them up in my zone (5/6)? Good timing? I'm just curious.
Anyhow - here's some pics of a few of my many babies in the back yard. Thanks.
--Brad

Here's the basjoo patch - the big ones came up from last year's pseudostem, and the little tiny guy on the right is the Mekong - will he make it? - hmmm....

1st year growth Ensete Maurelii's by the vege garden (just potted up)-

My Truly Tiny and his newest pup - I've taken 4 pups off him so far - pup looks to be in a little transplant shock

My mystery guy
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Prometheus
Said thanks: