View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
varig8

Zone: 10-11
Name: varig8
BananaBucks : 42,377
Said "Thanks" 74 Times
Was Thanked 383 Times in 144 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Re: Musa AE AE pictures & question

LOL Thanks for the links! I read them all. And these are supposed to be plant "experts"????? See what I mean? The only one that made any sense was the DaveS Garden link;
"Well, you can fertilize all you want, but the very nature of variegation is not controlled or influenced by fertilizer. Variegation is caused by an unknown mutation that switches a plant cells ability to produce chlorophyl on and off. Exactly how it works in unknown, but one thing is for sure: You can't force a cell to suddenly start producing chlorophyl if it's been programmed not to. And vice versa. Believe me, if there was a way to control variegation manually, someone would have found it by now ... and made a fortune.
It's most likely that the unknown mechanism that controls chlorophyl production in your pup suddenly turned itself off, thereby producing all-white new leaves instead of green and white leaves lower down. This happens often on unstable variegated plants. Side branches on non-bananas may turn out all white, mixed white and green, or all green. It's all up to the mysterious mechanism that controls variegation.
Best advice is to watch the pup. If it keeps putting out all-white leaves, I'd remove it and give the mother a chance to produce a more stable green and white pup. Since bananas won't product side shoots off an existing pup, you have no choice but to remove it. Otherwise, on non-bananas, you can cut the stem back to a point that's producing green and white leaves, and hope for the best.
Be thankful too for the fact that you can easily grow Ae-Ae and have it produce pups for you. That remains a dream for those of us farther north."
varig8 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To varig8
Said thanks: