Thread: Ae-ae
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 01:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
JoeReal

BananaBucks : 406,812
Said "Thanks" 108 Times
Was Thanked 474 Times in 228 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times

Here's a place where Ae-ae is almost always available, and they have very good feedback from people over at banana forum of garden web:
Royal Palms Enterprises
http://www.rpetropicals.com/store/ca...tegory=Bananas

Price: $129.00
2nd day Fedex: $21.00

Total including shipping and handling: $150.00.

So if the ebay bidding goes beyond ($150 - ie. $16 estimated shipping cost) or bidding goes beyond $134, you are really better off ordering it now rather than bid it out at eBay, so why wait and spend more?

As a practical rule of thumb, do your research on your item of interest before bidding on eBay. And we are here to help based on our own mistakes. Too often, I end up paying too high, mostly due to shipping and handling, simply because I did not check local prices first or other online sources. Sometimes you could find items in big box stores, and there is no shipping and handling overhead at the same retail price for the bid price, and no waiting. The only big problem right now with the big box stores is they don't have terminals where you can do a search for your items if they carry it and which shelves they are located, unlike eBay, it is easy to search for items. But a time is coming that soon, every item will be RFID'ed and each real shopping cart will have a powerful search item and directed navigation (already on trial), then I will only go for eBay for the very rare items I can't search in the stores.

This and other info come from various people for free and would pass it on to others. Some sellers have ran out of stock. I think the above seller in the link is in Hawaii, the home of the Ae-ae and it is inconceivable that they will ran out. With too many people wanting to grow and sell Ae-ae, it is only a matter of time that its price will go down. Many nurseries are holding off and propagating which creates a temporary shortage, and hence the price going up, as most will offer next year, along with the offering from various hobbyists, the price should go below $100, just my speculation. It could only go up if there are more people who think they can propagate more of this plant for profit, so it could extend for some time. For me, it is only a matter of time before I'll get mine for free, a good friend is expecting a shipment, and I can wait for the pups, but could take two years in our colder climate.

The seller that ran out of stock:
Natural Selection Exotics
http://naturalselections.safeshopper.../cat41.htm?816
$99.99
I don't think they are going to raise their prices when inventory will move very slowly after supplies are replenished.

Last edited by JoeReal : 07-21-2005 at 01:47 AM.
JoeReal is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To JoeReal