View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
eric27

Zone: 5b
BananaBucks : 79,656
Said "Thanks" 313 Times
Was Thanked 253 Times in 105 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 11 Times
Default Re: my over wintering results, surprising!

Yeah this last year just with basjoo, to see how it worked with this newer method. I am so impressed with it I'm going to try it with some others this fall. My yunn. didn't make it this past winter but they were smallish and I only covered them with loose straw and leaves. So my plan is to try a few different ones this fall with the same method to see if it will work with ones other than basjoo. I think it will considering it worked so well during a much colder winter than our previous warmer El Nino winter.

Yes that 80 degree day Tim! What a distant memory now hey? Well yes we both now how it has been since. Yes I have had it uncovered since. After all these years it is really tough and hardened off. Plus if it gets too warm while covered than it will rot from being too warm and wet. But with that cool/cold wet weather we have had since that 80 degree day, I have had plastic and a tarp to keep the cold rain off the ground around the plant. And one night I wrapped the pstems in fleece and burlp to keep it warm. But other than that I have kept it uncovered. The most important thing was to keep the plastic on the ground around the plant to keep the cold rain off the ground, then when it was sunny I would take the plastic off. I normally don't have to do this. This spring has been a bit of a pain as you know.

A few things I have found from keeping it in the ground all winter, assuming you don't lose the pstems. One is the it seems to take off very quick when even the slightest hint of warm weather/stronger sun light hit. Second, with it being in the ground it already has a root system built up. And third it is already hardened off. So it grows much better than any plant I have ever over I overwinterd indoors and brought outside in spring. In effect it is acting like a perrienal (sp?) here.

You could always try one and have a back up to bring in just in case?

I'll PM you later!
eric27 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To eric27
Said thanks: