View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Steve in France

Zone: zone: it says 6 to 8
Name: Steve in France
BananaBucks : 108,273
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 52 Times in 28 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Aroid Expert Needed>>>

If my ID is right and based on my limited experience I'd say this Colocasia has the biggest leaves I've seen on a Colocasia. Plus my friend says these leaves are small compared with the leaves he had on it last year. I'm hoping that there are some seeds forming in those old flower heads so I can grow a few to send to people. It only has one more pup on it at the moment and the pup I had seem less like a pup than a bit of old tuber that had grown about ten inches from the main plant. It could have been a seedling from a couple of years ago. I'll have to go back and ask Dan what he has noticed in the way of pupping and seeds.I should also say that the Colocasia in the pics is growing in a bit too much shade so the newer leaves are trying to turn up toward the Sun and do so until they get a bit older and heavier and then they are held in a horizon position.
I like that Xanthosoma Atroverins Randy has , I'd love to get the Blue Giant form.
Later
Steve