View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
canadianplant

Zone: Zone 3-5
BananaBucks : 52,034
Said "Thanks" 20 Times
Was Thanked 65 Times in 44 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Probably a stupid question but.....

Pit - I definelty agree with what you say. I like to think I know something, when in reality we all know almsot nothing to some degree. Its funny to, becasue i NEVER call a question stupid, and 90% of the time, its ME making the same comment you did to me LOL. I appreciate it

I think Gabe hit the nail on the head. Most Musa Basjoo we have are Tissue Cultured. And if i remember correctly, its rare to get a banana to reproduce by seed that is TC ( some plants arent as finicky with it, like bamboo apperanlty will flower when its a TC specimin). While most other banana species in question grown and sold are grown from wild collected seed. ( rarepalmseed.com for example)

After thinking about it, its almsot like the common banana we eat. Much easier to reproduce by TC, then from seed ( because they dont have any).

I wasnt to sure how well theyd survive here ( its a real challenge here im assuming). The Basjooi aquired last year, were small TC plugs, no more then 5 leaves tall. I dug one up, potted it, and its been in a south facing window all winter. ITs doubled in size over the winter, ITs almsto 2 feet tall now, not including the new leaf ( almsot 3 or 4 feet if you include the growing leaves !!!!!) Im tempted to bring it in every winter seeing how well it did. As well, I might be able to get it to flower ( weas an afterthought of it surviving the winter LOL)

Thanks again for the info guys.
canadianplant is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To canadianplant