Thread: Camera Talk!
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Hollyberry Lady

BananaBucks : 1,299,059
Said "Thanks" 12,042 Times
Was Thanked 11,326 Times in 5,311 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 102 Times
Joy Re: Camera Talk!

Mitchel, your shots are just spectacular...even though you're very modest about your skill and ability.

Those pics you gave links to are just absolutely gorgeous and they look totally professional to me. Please keep them coming...

Here was another one of your posts from another thread that I wanted in this thread too, so I could refer to the information repeatedly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoese View Post
Yes it's all about glass and that's where you will spend most of your money, or should anyway.

When they talk about fast glass they are simply referring to the max aperture size. Smaller number = bigger opening = more light hitting the film (sensor) equals the ability to use faster shutter speeds and lower ISO to avoid grain (digital noise). It also allows for better control over the DOF (Depth Of Field) Wide open apertures like 2.8 or bigger like 1.4 will produce a very shallow area of focus or DOF. I use this with most of my dog portraits or flower pictures to blur the background making to the subject the center of attention.

In general the bigger the aperture the more money you spend, especially with wide angle or long lenses. So a lot of camera shopping comes down to your budget and what you are looking to use the gear for. You will find better deals on used Nikon/Nikkor glass than Canon. Canon bodies are also a little more pricey. Most people in the know these days say you can't tell the difference in image quality between the two brands using comparable equipment so buy what fits your budget.

Hope that helps to explain fast glass.

Randy...

Your new camera sure takes a wicked shot! WoW! That Agave is stunning!

You are not derailing my thread at all...what good is a camera chat thread with no pictures?!

Are you kidding me...I love pictures, so please keep them coming. The more, the merrier!

I think you picked a real great camera Randy, by the look of that shot! Are you pleased with the pics?

Timmko...

Those nature shots are excellent too. You guys all have great cameras, that's for sure!

Do you guys think I shouldn't put out big bucks on a first camera ??? Do you think I should just get something more modest to start with ??? This is what my mom thinks and I wondered what you guys thought. I don't want to get something too complicated that I won't want to use...

Think maybe I just need to go shopping soon and see what's out there...

: )

Last edited by The Hollyberry Lady : 11-29-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: damn spelling!!!
The Hollyberry Lady is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To The Hollyberry Lady
Said thanks: