View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 01:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
floridagrower

Zone: 9
BananaBucks : 96,424
Said "Thanks" 73 Times
Was Thanked 312 Times in 104 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Colorful, Edible, and Hardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
This cultivar may be a winner, but unfortunately, is not at all available to the hobby community. You're going to have to go on an expedition and smuggle it out of Uganda if you want one.

It's an East African Highland Banana (EAHB) called 'Bitambi'. It is most definitely edible (and very good both cooked and as a dessert fruit), has mottled black to nearly full black pseudostems, red petioles and red leaves. When I took these photos, the plants were only scantily red, but was told that under certain conditions they can become entirely very red. Additionally, it is an EAHB, which as a group tend to show at least some cool tolerance (and even an aversion to higher temps which other bananas can handle fine).

So, they're out there alright, along with many other extremely interesting and unusual bananas, but like so many of them, just out of reach of the hobbyist.

Does it still count as teasing if I don't have this plant myself? Because I don't!

These look pretty awesome. Any comments on the flavor? As an aside, I was watching some tv program the other day that was in Africa, near Somalia. The locals had a staple banana tree there that was a tall variety and had a very dark/black trunk. The leaves were green. Perhaps this is the "Hawaiian Black" type?