Thread: Camera Talk!
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
r3tic

Zone: 7-8
Name: Dave
BananaBucks : 45,575
Said "Thanks" 531 Times
Was Thanked 123 Times in 71 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 306 Times
Default Re: Camera Talk!

P&S is a point and shoot camera.

If you are looking into a DSLR, you have several brands to choose from. All of the major brands make good products at this point. Canon and Nikon are the two big name brands that most people are familiar with, therefore they are the two largest selling brands. Both of their lens systems are very good. Image stabilization is available if you buy a stabilized lens(costs more). Canon can use most of their auto focus lenses that they have ever made. Same with Nikon, some of the Nikon cameras can use older manual focus only lenses as well.

Sony has a DSLR line that they purchased from Minolta and image stabilization is based in the camera not the lenses. Therefore all lenses are in effect stabilized, all Minolta branded lenses work with Sony DSLRs.

Olympus also has a camera based stabilization system. When they developed their DSLR they changed the lens mount so only Olympus digital lenses will work.

Pentax has camera based stabilization, and any lens Pentax has ever made, manual or auto focus will work on their DSLRs.

I mention lens compatibility so you have an idea what you can find as far as used lenses.

I personally shoot a Pentax DSLR for several reasons...

1: The cameras, lenses etc tend to cost less than other brands because they do not advertise nearly as much.

2: The cameras have for more metal in their construction providing for a non plastic feel in the camera.

3: Stabilization in the body of the camera.

4: You can use any lens that Pentax has ever made. There are a ton of old prime lenses for very cheap that you can use.

I worked in a camera store for almost 5 years so feel free to ask me question if you have them. As far as camera specs and reviews, dpreview.com is one of the best resources. One thing I always asked my customers is does the camera feel comfortable in your hand? If it doesn't, you're not as likely to use it. Keep that in mind as you are shopping, find a store if you can to feel the cameras. As far as where to purchase your camera, if an online sale sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Bhphoto.com is a great place to buy from.