View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #727 (permalink)
Jack Daw
I think with my banana ;)

Zone: Dfa (Köppen-geiger) <-> 7b/8a? (USDA)
Name: Jack
BananaBucks : 209,345
Said "Thanks" 2,771 Times
Was Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,355 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 383 Times
Default Re: Weather forecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
It is hard to understand (sometimes) Czech or Slovak to me... not to mention less related languages.
It reminds me many funny misunderstanding... Jack how do you understand that sentneces:
Gdzie jest zachód?
Co szukasz?
I know what they mean, but there are some illiterates here dumm enough to actually think that Polish is a dialect of northern Slovakia and they would translate it like this:
Where's the toilet?
What are you ****ing?

You know it's amazing. As a younger language, Slovak assimilated quite much from all the other Slavic languages and the result is that we understand almost anyone (from south to north, from West to East) with very little problem. That's however not the general issue (see southern Hrvatska and northern Polonia languages) with other Slavic nations.
Reminds me of a story in Croatia. A Russian was standing at a shop and speaking Russian, a Croat shopkeeper was standing and saying something in Croatian, yet the Russian though he (the Croat) was speaking some funny Russian dialect... really funny. It was Croatian and meant absolute opposite of what the Russian thpught he heard, they both almost started fighting when the time to pay came.

Oh yeah!

Btw. saw this on the news today and regret to tell you that I'm afraid of whatever comes next out of your country.

Giant Jesus statue completed in Polish town - Telegraph

Zeitgeist - Corporatocracy 101 (~2hrs)

Zeitgeist - Moving Forward (~2.5hrs)

Last edited by Jack Daw : 11-21-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Jack Daw is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Jack Daw