View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kostas

Zone: 10a
Name: Konstantinos
BananaBucks : 217,517
Said "Thanks" 2,137 Times
Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 464 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Kostas
Default Do i need to protect in the winter?

Hello,

I have been reading about many of you protecting your bananas for the winter now as cold weather approaches you and have been trying to find out if i need to protect my sole ground planted banana,my Ice Cream with about 6ft of pseudostem now. Most of the people whose winterizing methods i have been reading here are in zones a little worse or better than mine and i would like your help decided wether i need to protect my banana or not to hopefully get bananas the coming year. I have my Ice Cream planted from last May/June,in Melissia,Athens where we get a few -2C to -3C random nights in the winter and half a week of below 0C night temprature days with snowy weather on some of them. We get a good deal of snow that week and see tempratures from 0C to -3C most often(a little above 0C during the day) but we can also see -6C in bad years once every 4years and i think we have once seen close to -10C,-12C. I do have warning when its gonna get that low so i can protect the last minute if we get a bad winter this year. But in a normal winter with tempratures down to -3C or -4C only,do i need to protect and how,for the pseudostem to survive and produce bananas next year?
What should i do in the case of a bad winter? The less time it takes to protect and the less ugly it is,the better!

Thank you very much in advance!

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors