View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #102 (permalink)
soundofthemusic1

Zone: 7B
Name: Rae
BananaBucks : 10,450
Said "Thanks" 2,597 Times
Was Thanked 349 Times in 166 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 68 Times
Thumbs up Re: Trying to root Cuttings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hollyberry Lady View Post
Great cuttings, Richard!

Rae, I apologize but somehow your post got past me and I didn't see it until now...

As for the tri-colored sedum...I understand it is pretty special although I'm not sure what it is exactly. Would you like a piece in Spring when it really gets going? Zac from Texas sent me the cutting and tells me they're slow to get growing but once they do...look out! He only sent me a tiny 2" piece but it got tall enough for me to break it apart and now I have two cuttings growing. They are both doing super and I can tell they will grow terrific here.

Holly cuttings are normally not rooted the way I've done mine at all...

Normally 6" Holly cuttings are taken from new canes of new growth while the bush is dormant, which means the cutting will be leafless. Although they are leafless they still have bumps on the canes known as bud unions. The following year's leaves grow from these.

You dip a bundle of these cuttings in a hardwood rooting hormone powder and tie them together in groups of about 5-10. In an area of your garden that receives full sunshine, dig a hole 12 inches deep. Drop the bundle in, in an upright position and cover it over with 6" of soil.

Mark the area with a stake, so in Springtime you know where to look for little sprouting Holly shrubs...

: )
Sherry,

No apology necessary.

When I googled this afternoon, your sedum appeared to be Sedum spurium Tricolor. If so, it is a groundcover that will have pink flower in the summer. I grow several sedums; they are really easy for me, but I don't know why deer would eat them. And thanks for offering the cutting to me. I may accept your offer at a later time.

What a thorough explanation of how to root holly cuttings
! I now understand the big difference is no leaves are required for the rooting process.

Best of luck to you and everyone else with your cuttings!

soundofthemusic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To soundofthemusic1
Said thanks: